Thursday, May 07, 2009

Soup for the soul

Lately I've been into cooking vegetarian (because my boyfriend's going through a phase right now). I used to be a veggie myself (until I started feeling more sorry for myself than the cows), so I'm just bringing back the good old reicipes from my hippie-times.

Today I made something I call Potkusoppa in Finnish ('Kicksoup'). It's a version of a traditional pea soup (Hernesoppa) that Finns love eating every thursday with pancakes after sliding in the snow with a sled:

250 g dried chickpeas (or more if they're conserved)
1 potato
2 big onions / 1 leek (gives a prettier color)
2 cloves of garlic
butter

plenty of grated fresh parmesan cheese
olive oil
salt
black pepper

If you use dried chick peas, let them soak in water over night. Boil them for about an hour with the potato and salt. If you use canned peas, then just cook them tender without the potato. (I can't remember what's the trick in it, but I think it's way cooler to do it with the spud!)

Fry the onions and garlic until tender and season with salt and pepper. Use a blender to mix everything into a grainy mess, add lots of parmesan and blend. Check the taste and pour some oil on top. It's creamy, it's juicy, it's everything that veggie food is not supposed to be! Yei!

No comments: