Monday, May 25, 2009

Lady-like

Senior fashion now and forever

Granny lettin' loose in Karneval der Kulturen, Berlin, 2007.

I was so inspired to write about old ladies today because I woke up sounding just like Bea Arthur (may she rest in peace). What's been on my mind for a long time is what describes the fashion among the elderly. It seems it stays the same regardless of surrounding trends, but in a certain age we will all just be taken away by that fad, and start wearing curler rolls and pleated skirts.

The friggin legendary Golden Girls: Blanche, Dorothy (Bea Arthur), Ma/Sophia (Estelle Getty) and Rose. (Picture source here.)

My both grandmothers died when I was just 8, but I had the pleasure of spending quite some time with them. My dad's mom (Mammu) was the elegant urban type, who wore pleated beige pants and starched blouses, whereas my mom's mom (Mummi) was the cute curly haired, round woman in a dress, who smelled like pancakes and home-made strawberry jam. They were both awesome! (I take the risk of sounding like an American, 'awesome' is the only word that describes them.)

I dedicate this article to Mammu and Mummi (and the Golden Girls of course).

Mammu and me.

Mummi with my big-sis and me. She looked like alot like Estelle Getty, right? :D

Comfort and class
It seems that comfort is the biggest factor in clothing for the elderly. When you've lived for so long, you simply don't wanna waist your time sweating in skinny jeans or getting blisters from your new majorly cute but uncomfortable shoes. In that age you might say, they give a new meaning to the saying 'to-die-for'... Nevertheless the overall view is lady-like and classy.

Colors and patterns
Flowers are an all time favorite among the ladies, also all kinds of abstract combinations of dots, lines and geometric patterns are popular patterns. Beige and gray are the timeless colors, but the bolder ladies also go for light yellow, berry colors and pastels. A lady always wears stockings, that are thick and tanned to give the legs a smoother look.

Silhouette
Many grannies like a straight line, in a two-piece they go for long jackets with slacks. Others create the hour-glass form by e.g. wearing a dress with a ribbon in the waist. The hemline is below the knees. An older Finnish lady also once told me that sleeves are important, because seniors tend to have something they call "allit" in Finnish, the wobbly part in their arms, that they'd rather not show. Shoes are quite sturdy, because oldies sometimes tend to fall down.

The urban granny wears slacks.

Best friends out on the town. Check out the matching bags.

No comments: